Heceta Head Oregon
Harbour Lights #455
Positioned on the cliffs 256 feet above sea level, the Heceta Head Light
house delivers a commanding view of the Pacific Coastline. The lighthouse
was named after the Spanish explorer, Captain Don Bruno de Heceta of the
Spanish Royal Navy, whose expeditions brought him to the Oregon coast
The site, located roughly eleven miles north of Florence and eleven miles
south of Yachats, was purchased in 1889. One thousand barrels of blasting
powder were required to level an even slab on the rocky cliffs. Lumber was
provided from local mills, masonry and cement came from San Francisco, and
the rock used in the base of the tower was quarried from the Clackamas
River near Oregon City. For nearly two years laborers and carpenters
worked an average of ten hours a day earning respectively $2 and $4 a day.
It wasnít until March 30, 1894 that the lighthouse was finally completed
and lit by Andrew Hald, Heceta Headís first principal keeper. An
exquisitely massive First Order Fresnel Lens, manufactured in London was
installed in the 56í tower. The lens contains eight panels, with 640
prisms, each two inches thick. It is said to be the strongest beacon on
the Oregon Coast, and is visible for over 21 miles.
The outpost was extremely remote and isolated until the 1930ís when Route
101, the Pacific Coast Highway, was constructed. Today there is direct
access through Devils Elbow State Park. The historic Queen Ann style
assistant keeperís house was built in 1893, perched on a cliff, with paths
leading both to the beach and to the lighthouse.
Heceta Head Lighthouse, known by many, as "Oregonís Jewel" is one of the
most visited lighthouses in the U.S. Itís romantic aura and spectacular
views create a magical atmosphere. It is now a beautiful Bed and Breakfast
where visitors come to relax and enjoy this wonderful sentinel. For
reservations call 541-547-3696.
|Heceta Head OR