Bodie Island North Carolina
Harbour Lights #719
Throughout history, hundreds of ships have met their
fate and multitudes of mariners lost their lives in the menacing waters
off the North Carolina coast, giving rise to its reputation as the
Graveyard of the Atlantic. In 1837 Congress appropriated the funds for
the construction of a much-needed Outer Banks beacon to supplement one
existing at Cape Hatteras. It would be ten years before the site on Pea
Island was purchased and construction began.
The initial light, a 54-foot tower constructed in 1847 on an unsupported
brick foundation, began to lean within two years and was finally
abandoned in 1859. It was rebuilt on a nearby site the same year. When
the Civil War broke out the 80-foot tower was blown up by the
Confederate troops who feared that the Union forces would use the
lighthouse as an observation post.
It was not until 1871 that construction began on a third Bodie Island
Lighthouse. The government purchased the new site, 15-acres north of the
Oregon Inlet, from John Etheridge for $150. On October 1, 1872 the
156-foot Bodie Lighthouse, equipped with a powerful First Order Fresnel
Lens, was ready to help ships navigate through the dangerous Cape. The
Keeperís Quarters duplex was completed soon after.
The light was electrified in 1932, ending the need for an on-site
keeper. In 1953 all of the light stationís property except the tower
were transferred to the National Park Service. The light still functions
as a U.S. Coast Guard navigational aid. The Keeperís duplex has
undergone two historic restorations and now serves as a ranger office
and visitor center for Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
Harbour Lights beautifully depicts a winter wonderland. This exceptional
sculpture perfectly embodies the true spirit of the holidays!
|Bodie Island NC