Seven Foot Knoll Maryland
Lights Limited Edition #521
Not too far from the mouth of the Patapsco River near Baltimore, a series of hazardous shoals lie just below the surface of the water. Known as Seven Foot Knolls, deep water vessels make a wide berth here. To make matters worse the waters surrounding the shoals are renowned for their dangerous currents.
In 1855, construction of a screwpile light, one of the earliest built on the Chesapeake Bay, began at Seven Foot Knolls. Over the years, the ice floes took their toll on the keepers quarters and they were replaced with the present round cast iron building.
By the early 1970's the lighthouse was considered unnecessary and it was deactivated. In 1987 the City of Baltimore obtained title to the lighthouse and in October, 1988, the sentinel was moved to Pier 7 of Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
Click on an image below to view the picture in a larger size.
*Available for purchase by Harbour Lights Collectors Society members during the period between May 1, 1999 and April 30, 2000.
Paul L. Brady © Harbour Lights